For those of you who don't already know, Prince William of Wales has announced (on Twitter) that he has asked his long-time girlfriend Kate Middleton to marry him. The wedding is planned for spring or summer of 2011.
You might be saying "so what?" right? But news of this engagement is kind of a big deal.
The future king's wedding has been something the world has been looking forward to basically since his birth. Not only do people hope the wedding will boost England's slumping economy, but it will also likely be showcased as the wedding of the century...similar to that of his parents' wedding in 1981.
So, what's having a wedding of the century exactly mean if you are the royal groom and bride? William is used to the pressure of being in the spotlight, but is Kate? There's no doubt that this event is going to change her life tremendously. All eyes are going to be on her.
Once she is married, she will be known as Her Royal Highness Princess William of Wales. She will then become Queen Catherine when William is crowned king.
She is living every little girl's dream and actually gets to be a real-life princess. So many girls would die for that opportunity! But, Princess Diana, also a commoner like Kate, seemed to struggle a bit with the pressue of the media, do you think Kate will too?
This question got us thinking about her situation and we came up with several of things that would be running through our minds if we were in Kate Middleton's shoes right now...here's some of the funny/serious things we came up with:
1. Now I have to find the absolute perfect wedding dress, if I don't, the media will basically eat me alive.
2. My poor sister. Her husband or wedding will never beat this.
3. Because I'm engaged to the prince, does that mean EVERYONE is going to call me Catherine instead of Kate now?
4. Who do we invite?!
5. Crap! All of my friends are going to want to be in the wedding.
6. Is it wrong for me to wonder how many diamonds will be in my crown?
7. Wait, what's my title again?
8. Oh...am I the fairest of them all?
9. I'm now a part of history...weird.
10. Holy pressure! My fiance's mother is Princess Diana... let the comparisons begin! And would she really want me to have this gorgeous ring?
"Like Kate said, it is about carving your own future. No one is trying to fill my mother's shoes, what she did was fantastic. It's about making your own future and your own destiny and Kate will do a very good job of that," said Prince William recently to the U.K. media.
Kate responded to that by saying, "I really hope I can make a difference, even in the smallest way.I am looking forward to helping as much as I can."
We're sure she'll do an awesome job and that their wedding will be wonderful. What would you be thinking right now if you were Kate? Are you excited for the royal wedding?