New York County Proposes Energy Drink Ban for Teens

Share
Tweet
Pin It
Share
Tweet
Pin It

Suffolk County in Long Island, N.Y. has proposed a law that would ban teens 19 and younger from purchasing energy drinks. If the law is passed, it will be the first of its kind in the country, county legislator Lynne Nowick tells NBC.

"These drinks can potentially be dangerous for teens," she said. "Why put foreign things in your body when you don't know what's going into them? The drinks are not regulated."
The ban would include any energy drinks with more than 80 miligrams of caffeine per seving. Shoshanna Goldin should be psyched. According to the teen's study, ''Energy Epidemic: Teen Perceptions and Consumption of Energy Drinks," these beverages can lead to high blood pressure, jitters, headaches, nausea and insomnia.

However, the American Beverage Association, a group that represents drink manufacturers, disagrees. "Any proposed ban on energy drinks is without merit," the organization said in a statement. "Energy drinks contain about half the caffeine of a similar size cup of coffeehouse coffee. To be consistent, coffeehouses would have to start carding customers before serving them coffee."

Over 85 percent of JSYK readers said they don't consume energy drinks, while the remaining 15 percent said they drink anywhere from one to three or more of the beverages per day. What do you think of the proposed ban? Would it affect your life? Are you for or against it? %Poll-56790%

MORE CELEB SCOOPS

Show Comments
Join Our Newsletter
Stay fetch. Sign up for The Cray, our daily roundup of all things buzzworthy. From Kylie Jenner's trendsetting style (btw, puberty goals AF) to life-changing tech news (tweeting an emoji to order a pizza #YES), The Cray is all you need to impress the squad.
Privacy Terms