We're sad to report a South Carolina high school student tragically took his own life last week.
Sixteen-year-old Aaron Williams, a student at Academic Magnet High School, poured a flammable liquid all over his clothes on Wednesday morning and lit himself on fire while running toward the school's front entrance. Dozens of students and teachers saw Aaron on fire, and classmates ran for a fire extinguisher while teachers wrapped him in a blanket until paramedics arrived. Tragically, Aaron passed away later that day from his serious burns.
The school has provided grief counselors to help students cope with their emotions over Aaron's horrific suicide. Classmates are remembering him as "the boom box kid" because Aaron often carried around a large old-school stereo, similar to what was popular in the '80s. His Facebook profile photo was a boom box with the saying, "A boom box can change the world."
Our thoughts are with Aaron's family and friends. If you or somebody you know are having suicidal thoughts, please reach out for help today. Call The Trevor Lifeline at 866-4-U-TREVOR (866-488-7386). They're available 24/7 and the call is free and confidential.