Illuminate your cell phone calendars... Spring Break is merely 1, 2, 3, 4 weeks away. For some, you may be unfazed by this news, but for the millions of students desperately seeking a "break" from snooze worthy classes and late night study sessions, it's time to start thinking about how you are going to enjoy this much deserved time off. Here are some simple spring break guidelines to follow to ensure an unforgettable "moment for life."
1. DO plan ahead. Miami Beach, Daytona Beach, and Cancun are all great locations to take a break from school or work, but if you don't have a realistic strategy on how you are going to get there, you'll be spending that time off stalking Facebook to live vicariously through the photo diaries of the students who did. Have a meeting or video conference with your closest buds, and start brainstorming ideas on how to enjoy your spring break. Delegate responsibilities for each person: transportation, hotel, food, activities etc. so that coordinating the trip doesn't become overwhelming. Once you know what type of dent this escape will put in your wallet, start saving (or ahem... begging your parents) to foot your portion of the bill.
2. DO: Make sure your reservations are in place. One week out, call and confirm those reservations with airlines, hotels, and rental car agencies.
3. DO NOT stress. If you don't have enough money to go away, it's OK. There are plenty of ways to enjoy your time off in your hometown. Check out the visitors bureau in your city to get discount coupons for local attractions and restaurants, and Google "free things to do in (your city)" to see if any local websites, magazines or newspapers list events that are FREE $0.99. Map out an entire week-long itinerary for you and your crew and you'll never notice that you stayed in town. Also, try giving the gift of giving by volunteering for a local non-profit organization. Helping others is the ultimate way to make a lasting memory.
4. DO get your life in order. If you choose to avoid the crowds, loud music, and spending your last dime, Spring cleaning during your time off can give you a fresh start on life. Organize your closet, invite friends over for a clothing swap party, or finish that never ending to do list.
5. DO take plenty of pictures to capture great memories. When you become a full time adult, these pictures will give you warm and fuzzy thoughts about how much fun having little to no responsibilities use to be.
6. DO NOT document your entire trip on Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr. Truth is... your mom, grandmother, aunt, uncle, and frenemy all are stalking your pages to keep tabs on your trip. Rapper Drake says, "YOLO (You Only Live Once)", but keep some of your most eyebrow raising activities in the privacy of your digital camera, computer, phone, or in your long-term memory.
7. DO look your best. "Nails done, hair done. Everything did... Oh you fancy huh?" Since your friends will serve as your personal set of paparazzi, make sure you look dope. Exercise at least 30 minutes a day, at least 4 days a week leading up to your trip. You do plan on wearing a bathing suit right? And pack casually, cute fashion pieces: embellished flats (you'll be doing tons of walking), fitted jeans, wedges (for those party rockin' nights), long, flowing skirts, cropped tops, statement jewelry (they add the perfect punctuation to even a simple jean and white t-shirt ensemble) and a cross shoulder bag (you'll need to be hands free when your typing that cutie's number in your phone).
8. DO NOT pack you most treasured items. This a time to relax and not think about if your vintage Chanel purse is safe in your hotel room. If you must bring your, pricey watch, make sure you lock it up in your hotel room safe.
9. DO be yourself. Don't allow the hype of Spring Break (aka "almost summer") get you caught up in being someone you're not. It's OK to let loose, but if you're not the type to get drink, do drugs, or flash your lady lumps in public, don't let others influence you to fit in. Just gracefully decline unwanted propositions and don't hate on others who chose to participate in those actions. They will truly respect and support you for just being you and letting them be them.
10. DO NOT venture off on you own. Tell someone in your group that you're going for a quick store run, or grabbing a bite with the cute guy you met at the pool. On Spring Break, safety is everything.
11. DO wear sunscreen. There's nothing "HOT" about sunburn. Put some on. The sheer spray-on version from Neutrogena is the bomb.com.
12. DO NOT go broke. Spending aimlessly during your trip could have you needing a financial bailout when you return home. Since you don't have the US government on speed dial, plan your spending wisely to make sure you don't have creditors calling later for cash.
13. DO NOT do anything illegal. The most important rule of spring break is to, "not get arrested." Your friend's probably won't have enough cash to rescue you so you know what that means – a call home to mom and dad. Cue the violins!
14. DO have a blast. You senior year in high school or your time in college will come and go in a breeze. Enjoy it!