How they work:
Foods that are packed with antioxidants are good for your complexion because antioxidants protect your cells from free radicals – potentially harmful substances in your environment that can damage cells, age and wrinkle you, and/or lead to diseases (Source).
Antioxidants are found in foods containing Vitamins A, C and E, Lycopene, Beta-carotene, Selenium and Lutein, so you're getting tons of other nutrients for your body at the same time. Fruits, veggies, grains, teas, legumes and nuts are generally the highest in these nutrients and you should try to include all of them in your daily diet!
Here are five of my favorite antioxidant-packed foods to snack on:
1. Berries – Just about every type of berry is high in antioxidants, especially blueberries and strawberries. Yum!
2. Pineapple – Pineapple is another tasty fruit that's high in antioxidants. I also like to eat it to reduce bruising and swelling.
3. Beans – Beans are known for their protein and fiber content but they are also high in antioxidants. A great way to snack on them is to make a healthy bean salad that you can enjoy alone or with crackers.
4. Nuts – Pecans, peanuts, hazelnuts and walnuts are all great sources of antioxidants and are among the easiest to eat on the go.
5. Dark chocolate – Get your nutrients in with your dessert and treat yourself to some dark chocolate.
What are some tasty ways you like to enjoy these foods? What are some of your favorite beauty foods? Tell me in the comments below!
P.S. Photo is from here.
For more information on antioxidants, check out this helpful site from the National Institutes of Health.
National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine