We continue building the excitement for the 2012 Olympics today (EIGHT days away!) by introducing you to another athlete you're going to be hearing a lot more about once the event get underway in London!
Sam Mikulak is on the Men's gymnastics team and almost didn't make the cut! Sam broke BOTH his ankles last year at a competition in Puerto Rico and hurt his left ankle again during the Olympic trials--and still made the team!
The 19-year-old, 2011 NCAA all-around champ is going to persevere and we can't wait to see him on the parallel bars and pommel horse! In meantime, here are five things you may be surprised to know about the Olympian!
1. Sam's a student at the University of Michigan where he's earning his undergraduate degree in psychology. He's actually the first gymnast from UM to make the Olympic team!
2. He's part owner in a yerba maté company called "Maté Bros" with two of his friends. It's a powerful herb that has strength of coffee and brewed like tea. Sam says it gives him energy before his meets.
3. Sam watches South Park and Breaking Bad when he needs to take his mind off training.
4. Sam has been practicing gymnastics since he was two-years-old during "Mommy and Me" classes. Both his parents are gymnasts.
5. During intense competitions, like the Olympic trials, Sam goes into what he calls "ghost mode" where he zones everything out around him and keeps focused.
Are you excited to watch Sam go for the gold?
Selena Gomez Gets Caught Lip-Syncing at...