Ryan Lochte: Meet the Gold Medal Winner Who Has an Adorable Connection to Lil Wayne--Seriously!
The 28-year old (his birthday is Friday) took home the gold medal in the 400 IM and wanted to wear a custom-made red, white and blue grill on the podium. How's that for patriotic?
You can watch Ryan tonight in the 400 freestyle relay final.
Here are five things to know about America's new Olympics sweetheart:
1. Already Struck Gold: Ryan was a big star at the 2011 World Championships in Shanghai. He took home five gold medals . . . two of those he won OVER Michael Phelps in the 200 meter freestyle and the 200 individual medley race.
2. Must Love Dogs: Ryan's best friend is his Doberman named Carter. His namesake? Dwayne Michael Carter, Jr. or better known to you as Lil Wayne!
3. Bad Boy of the Pool: Ryan's father was a swimming coach where he grew up in Daytona, Florida, but as a kid Ryan didn't take swimming seriously. More often than not, he was kicked out of his dad's classes for misbehaving!
4. Kind of a Klutz: Ryan's missed training and practice sessions several times before big meets because he's been in scooter accidents and skateboarding crashes, had break-dancing injuries and once even plunged out of a tree.
5. Charitable Heart: When he's not in the pool, Ryan is donating his time to several non-profit organizations that mean a lot to him including Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy (he's the spokesperson), the Mac Crutchfield Fund (also the spokesperson), and the National Parkinson Foundation.
Which event are you most excited for the Olympics?