'The Originals': 5 Things to Know About the 'Vampire Diaries' Spinoff
The CW hasn't picked up the Vampire Diaries spinoff The Originals just yet, but if this week's Vampire Diaries episode left you wanting more, check out our five things to know about the New Orleans-based CW series that is in the works.
5) The Vampire Diaries' April 25 episode served as a backdoor pilot for the possible spinoff The Originals. The episode, aptly dubbed "The Originals," showed Klaus (Joseph Morgan) heading to the French Quarter of New Orleans with his brother Elijah (Daniel Gillies) after discovering that a coven of witches in New Orleans are plotting against him.
4) The show centers on the Original vampire siblings Klaus, Elijah and Rebekah (Claire Holt) as they stir up trouble in a supernatural world Klaus helped create long ago in New Orleans.
3) Morgan described the show to the Wall Street Journal as being "much more about vampires who like being vampires," adding, "there's no sweet misguided teens who need saving here."
3) About 75 percent of the show was filmed in the French Quarter of New Orleans.
2) There was a shocking twist in the backdoor pilot episode: Hayley and Klaus' one-night stand led to Hayley getting pregnant. At first, Klaus is against the pregnancy, agreeing to let a witch kill her and their unborn baby. But, he changes his mind when Elijah convinces him the baby is a "gift," saying "every king needs an heir." What's to come for baby Klayle? We'll just have to wait and see.
1) There were slim sightings of the Vampire Diaries characters on the episode, but there might be a chance we'll see some of them pop up if the show is picked up. The big hint? Klaus called Caroline at one point to say that while looking around New Orleans, "All I can think about is how much I want to show it to you. Maybe one day you'll let me," which opens the door for Caroline to make an appearance on the spinoff. With the absence of the Vampire Diaries stars, though, came the introduction of Klaus' sire Marcel (Charles Michael Davis), who is certainly one hot vamp we look forward to seeing more of.