5 Things You Must Know About Macklemore!
Check out our five things you must know about Macklemore!
5) Macklemore is no overnight success. Although it seemed like the Seattle rapper came from out of the blue, catapulting to fame and the top of the Billboard charts with "Thrift Shop" in 2012, he released his first EP in 2000, under the name Professor Macklemore. His first independent album, The Language of My World, followed in 2005.
4) He popped the question to his girlfriend of seven years, Tricia Davis, in January. He met her on MySpace, according to Complex Magazine, the same place he met Lewis six years ago.
3) Macklemore's "Same Love" song, which supports gay marriage, has become sort of an anthem for the LGBT community. The MC, whose two uncles and godfather are gay, said he wanted to write a song that brought awareness to gay rights and homophobia. It has received over 36 million views on YouTube.
2) He's open about his past addiction to drugs and alcohol. The hip-hopper went to rehab in 2008, and relapsed on prescription cough syrup in December 2011, which he addresses in his song "Starting Over."
1) What does Macklemore mean? The rapper told MTV that when he was 17 and living in Brooklyn, N.Y., he would go to thrift shops and buy "the most flamboyant plaid outfits" he could find. Friends started calling him "Professor Macklemore" because of his attire. "Later, I realized that I wasn't a professor of anything but the name Macklemore followed me," he said.
Check out Macklemore & Ryan Lewis' "Can't Hold Us" feat. Ray Dalton music video!