Take a look at the five things to know about the Compton-born rap superstar before he grabs the mic in Manchester, Tenn.!
5) Kendrick started off as an underground artist, releasing his first mixtape in 2003 when he was just 16. The rapper gained a major following with the release of his fourth mixtape, Overly Dedicated, in 2010, and his breakout independent album Section.80 in 2011, which was inspired by a vision of Tupac, according to VH1.
4) He isn't just a solo artist. He's also a member of West Coast hip hop supergroup Black Hippy, which he formed with California-based rappers Jay Rock, Schoolboy Q and Ab-Soul in 2009. They were eventually signed to an independent label called Top Dawg Entertainment, which later struck a deal with Dr. Dre's label, Aftermath.
3) MTV dubbed him the No. 1 Hottest MC in the Game in March 2013. "I think when it's all said and done, Kendrick Lamar is going to be an important voice of his generation," MTV News Senior Hip Hop Writer Rob Markman said.
2) He released his debut major studio album good kid, m.A.A.d City on Oct. 22, 2012. It reached gold status that December. It has almost reached platinum status.
1) He has had some music collaborations with Lady Gaga...but they haven't surfaced yet. Last August, Lady Gaga announced via Twitter that she and Lamar recorded a song called "Partynauseous," but it was later dropped from Kendrick's album because of label issues. The duo also recorded a different version of Kendrick's hit song "B-tch, Don't Kill My Vibe, which was also dropped for nearly the same reasons. "[Lady Gaga's] a regular person," Kendrick told VH1. "We became friends off of the genuine love for the music. She just hit my phone one day and said that she had a respect for the hip-hop that I was doing, that it wasn't like anything she heard on the radio. Then chemistry collided from there. What I respect about her more than anything is her originality. She's not afraid to be herself, and that's the same thing that Black Hippy represents."
Don't forget to tune into our livestream of the Bonnaroo Music Festival all weekend long, right here!