23-Year-Old Girl's Eyes Eaten by Amoeba After Wearing Contacts for 6 Months

Pin It
Pin It

Here's an eye-opening reminder of why it's important to change your contacts regularly.

Lian Kao, an undergraduate student in Taiwan, went blind after her eyes were eaten by amoebas living in her contact lenses.

She reportedly left the same disposable pair in for 6 entire months, according to the Daily Mail. The 23-year-old even wore the lenses while swimming, doctors said.

Not practicing proper hygiene apparently allowed bacteria to build up and microscopic amoeba to breed between the contact lens and her eyes, which then burrowed through her cornea. She was eventually diagnosed with acanthamoeba keratitis.

"The girl should have thrown the contact lenses away after a month but instead she overused them and has now permanently damaged her corneas," the doctor said. The issue is when the contact wearer begins feeling pain or irritation, the damage is often too late to fix.

We're definitely never sleeping in our contacts again after hearing this scary story!
Brain-Eating Amoeba Kills Nine Year-Old Kansas Girl

Want More? Like us on Facebook


Show Comments

Follow Cambio


Join Our Newsletter
Stay fetch. Sign up for The Cray, our daily roundup of all things buzzworthy. From Kylie Jenner's trendsetting style (btw, puberty goals AF) to life-changing tech news (tweeting an emoji to order a pizza #YES), The Cray is all you need to impress the squad.
Privacy Terms