The 22-year-old British soul singer/songwriter made waves (and history) when he released his debut album In the Lonely Hour in May, selling more copies in the first week than any other debut album by a U.K. male artist at 166,000.
Check out the five things to know about Sam Smith!
1. He comes from a famous family: Sam is the third cousin of Lily Allen and her brother, Game of Thrones actor Alfie Allen. Although Lily previously tweeted a congratulatory message to Sam with the hashtag #fam after he won a BBC award this year (and spoiled the surprise for him), the duo actually has never met.
2. He has OCD: Sam told People his hectic schedule worsens his OCD tendencies, but he's working on it. "I have really tough days," he said. "But I'm trying to get over it and really enjoy myself and live in the moment a bit more and make memories that can last forever."
3. His Favorite Band isn't whom you'd think: Sam told 4Music.com his fave boy band is Earth Wind and Fire, who rose to fame in the 1970s. And that's just the first of many music icons the soulful singer has a thing for. He killed his rendition of Whitney Houston's "How Will I Know," and told People, "I love legends like Whitney Houston. I love female voices and female divas. I find Amy Winehouse so iconic. Everything about her, just the way she looks." He also is a Beyoncé stan.
4. He had humble beginnings: And they weren't that long ago. "It was only two years ago [that] I was working in a bar - I was cleaning toilets in a bar," he told to NPR, "I remind myself of that every day, at the moment, because I don't want to take anything for granted."
5. In the Lonely Hour was inspired by an unrequited love: When talking to Fader about his love life, Sam said, "I've never been in a relationship before. I've only been in unrequited relationships where people haven't loved me back. I guess I'm a little bit attracted to that in a bad way. In the Lonely Hour is about a guy that I fell in love with last year, and he didn't love me back. I think I'm over it now, but I was in a very dark place. I kept feeling lonely in the fact that I hadn't felt love before. I've felt the bad things. And what's a more powerful emotion: pain or happiness?"