The 21-year-old singer-songwriter has risen to the spotlight with the release of her single "2 On" this summer followed by "Pretend," but she's far from being new to the industry.
Check out the five things to know about Tinashe!
1. The Lowdown: Tinashe was born in Kentucky and raised in California. She told Fact magazine she can't remember a time when she didn't sing, even writing her first song when she was only five years old. "It was called 'Deep in the Night', and it was about being afraid, and about not having to be afraid because I'm here for you – so it was actually super deep and really mature for a five year old!"
2. She's a triple threat.: She not only sings, but she also acts, dances and has a black belt in Taekwondo. Still, with all of her talents, she prefers music above everything else. "I love to act and put on a show, but you're playing a character all the time," she told Teen Vogue. "For music, it's really just me being myself."
3. Her former girl group used to open for Justin Bieber: Before she signed with RCA Records on a solo deal, Tinashe was in a six-member girl group called the Stunners, who opened for Justin Bieber, among others. "We went mini golfing, and he was really good at laser tag. I haven't bumped into him since, but he was super cool!" she told Teen Vogue. "Being on the road was a great learning experience for me and we got to play for 26,000 people which is almost easier than it is to play for 10." She even made a cameo in the Bieb's "Baby" music video.
Once the group split up, Tinashe pursued a solo career and went on to independently release three buzzed-about mixtapes before landing her own major record deal.
4. Her debut album has already achieved commercial and critical success: After Tinashe released Aquarius Oct. 7, the album debuted at #17 on the US Billboard 200, and sold 18,821 copies in its first week. The New York Times called it one of the strongest R&B debuts in years. Her first single, "2 On," produced by DJ Mustard went gold and held the No. 1 spot on Billboard's Rhymthic charts for a month.
5. She's been working in the entertainment industry since she was little.: According to VH1, Tinashe started out as a baby model, and built her own recording studio from the money she made working as an actress. One of her most notable roles was as Jake (Angus T. Jones)'s love interest Celeste on Two and a Half Men.