Even when it seems like a couple is in the midst of a fairytale romance, things can fall apart. Such was the case for these five former celebrity couples, who shocked us this year when they announced that they were calling it quits.
Take a look back at the five most surprising celebrity break-ups of 2014.
1. Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin: Back in 2013, the Oscar winner told Refinery 29, "I asked my dad once, 'How did you and mom stay married for 33 years?' And he said, 'Well, we never wanted to get divorced at the same time'. And I think that's what happens. When two people throw in the towel at the same time, then you break up, but if one person's saying, 'come on, we can do this,' you carry on."
Although, Gwyneth and Chris held their marriage together for 10 years, they shocked just about everyone when they threw in the towel on their marriage in 2014. The Iron Man star announced their separation on her website Goop in March, saying that they had decided to "consciously uncouple."
2. Robin Thicke and Paula Patton: After Robin's much-talked about performance at the 2013 MTV VMAs with Miley Cyrus, Paula stood by her man and even defended the wild duet. That public support appeared to change, though, when photos of Robin canoodling with other women seemed to keep popping up after that.
After nearly 20 years together and 10 years of marriage, the former high school sweethearts announced their separation in February – with the decision to separate seeming to be one-sided. Following that announcement, Robin spent the majority of the year trying to win back his ladylove, naming his new album Paula, releasing "Get Her Back" in dedication to her and telling the audience at his concerts over and over again he wanted to reunite with his wife.
Unfortunately, his efforts didn't pan out and the actress filed for divorce in October. In court documents released in September, Robin admitted that Paula left him because he admitted to abusing drugs and alcohol.
3. Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon: It seemed like fate. After meeting the famed singer in 2005, Nick and Mariah tied the knot in April 2008 in the Bahamas, with Mariah telling MTV, "we really do feel we are soulmates." The couple went on to renew their vows every year in lavish ceremonies and became parents to twins, Moroccan and Monroe, in April 2011.
As the couple hit their sixth year anniversary this year, we didn't see them renew their vows as they had before. Then, rumors started to surface this summer that the couple's marriage was falling apart and they had secretly separated. Although Nick went on to slam those rumors, he later confirmed in December that they're divorcing. Mariah has yet to say anything about the demise of their marriage so far.
4. Amber Rose and Wiz Khalifa: Any time Amber and Wiz hit the red carpet together, they seemed head over heels in love. But, after they got lovey dovey at the MTV Video Music Awards in August, Amber filed for divorce in September after a year of marriage, claiming the "We Dem Boyz" rapper cheated on her.
Amber later hit Twitter to tell fans she was heartbroken over the break-up, writing, "The pain...I wake up every morning feeling like my best friend died. I never knew what a true heartache felt like until now." Weeks later though, she seemed to be in a better place when she tweeted Wiz "still love you no matter what," after he tweeted "happy birthday" to her.
The former couple has one child together, 22-month-old son Sebastian.
5. Jordin Sparks and Jason Derulo: Jordin and Jason had never been shy about showing their love for each other, packing on the PDA at awards shows, on social media and beyond.
After Jason released "Marry Me" earlier this year, it seemed like the singers would soon reveal they were engaged. Instead, Jordin and Jason surprisingly announced in September that they were calling it quits after more than two years of dating.
The "Wiggle" crooner went on to say that the "pressures of marriage" was one of the reasons behind the split, with People reporting that he broke up with Jordin over the phone.