Pennsylvania College Student Accidentally Dies After Falling Asleep With Gum in Her Mouth

Pin It
Pin It
It's something a lot of us have accidentally done, especially in our college days, and it has unfortunately cost one student her life. Pennsylvania college basketball player Shanice Clark reportedly inhaled chewing gum into her lungs while asleep before being found dead in her dormitory over the weekend.

The 21-year-old girl from Toronto was found unresponsive at about 3 a.m. Sunday at California University of Pennsylvania near Pittsburgh. University officials said they were "deeply saddened" by the death of the senior basketball forward, while most of us were shocked to her how her death occurred.

Police say a preliminary report from medical personnel indicated that her death appeared to be accidental. An autopsy was conducted Monday. The coroner didn't immediately release the results, but police say medical personnel indicated she aspirated chewing gum while sleeping.

We were always told not to fall asleep with gum in our mouths because it could get stuck in our hair. We've never heard of a situation like Shanice's before. How horribly sad!

Her death has caused quite a reaction on social media as almost everyone has posted about it. Her story was also trending on Facebook.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Shanice and her family at this time.

Want More? Like us on Facebook
Gallery | Who Has the Best Makeup-Free Selfie?


Show Comments
Join Our Newsletter
Stay fetch. Sign up for The Cray, our daily roundup of all things buzzworthy. From Kylie Jenner's trendsetting style (btw, puberty goals AF) to life-changing tech news (tweeting an emoji to order a pizza #YES), The Cray is all you need to impress the squad.
Privacy Terms