Working out has to be a lifestyle — you need to make it enjoyable, so that it becomes a continuous habit. One of the best ways to achieve this is to mix it up, so you keep going even after bikini season. Here's how.
1. It doesn't have to be expensive.Having a gym membership is not the only way to keep in shape. Take advantage of your school's facilities, work out in a park with a power walk, jog or do a series of circuits. Free yoga or donation-based yoga has become really popular and is a fun, calming add-in to your routine.
2. Use the space you've got.You don't have to leave your house or dorm room. There are a plethora of amazing YouTube channels that are dedicated to offering quick and varied workouts. One of my favorites is Blogilates. Cassey Ho is incredibly inspirational and offers hundreds of high intensity interval training (aka HITT), full body pilates workouts and targeted workouts for your abs, butt, arms and legs. The best part: Each workout averages about 13 minutes each, and all you need is a yoga mat or towel!
3. You don't need to devote hours at a time.If you only have 10 minutes or can devote 30 minutes a few times a week, you can still make progress. Interval training with cardio moves is a perfect way to break a sweat in a short amount of time. You just need to make sure you get down to business in order to make the workout as productive as possible.
4. Make a fun playlists of jams to keep you going.I love working out to "Feeling Myself" by Beyonce and Nicki Minaj and Kanye West's "Work Out Plan." Or you can exercise to Col[lab]'s summer jams on Spotify!
5. Don't be dull!Switch up your workouts. Some days focus on abs or legs, and alternate between cardio and strength training. This will also make you more likely to keep up with a workout routine if it is not the "same old, same old" routine every day.
6. Make a workout plan at the beginning of the week to make sure you fit in time with your busy summer schedule.
7. Motivate yourself by working out with friends and following fitness bloggers on Instagram, who offer great tips, exercise ideas and encouragement to get it in.
8. Don't exhaust yourself.We're all trying to get beach body ready, but overdoing it can result in a burnout. If you go really hard, it is OK to take it easy with a decreased workout and days of rest.
9. Stay hydrated!Especially as the temperatures rise. This is crucial to ensure that you don't cramp up during workouts and don't crash afterwards.
10. Don't stress if you don't see instant results.It takes time and also requires healthy eating choices as well. You may not see stomach cuts like Beyonce's right away, but you'll feel accomplished for taking time for yourself to challenge your mind and body.
I always have to remember a workout plan is a lifestyle process with no finale. There are always new goals to make to improve ourselves and grow stronger. Let's be about that life!