Model Suing Tampon Company After Losing Leg, Almost Dying

Share
Tweet
Pin It
Share
Tweet
Pin It
Can a tampon nearly kill you? That's what model Lauren Wasser is claiming since she contracted toxic shock syndrome and lost a leg after leaving in a tampon overnight. When she had her period back in October 2012, she stocked up on her usual product of choice: Kotex Natural Balance.

Although she claims she changed her tampon three times that day, she felt ill later that night and accidentally left in a tampon when she fell asleep, she tells VICE. Things went from bad to worse when she was later rushed to the hospital with a 107 degree fever after having a massive heart attack.

She was diagnosed with toxic shock syndrome, a complication of bacterial infections associated with tampon use. Her leg developed gangrene and had to be amputated. Now Lauren is suing the brand's manufacturer and trying to raise awareness about the dangers of TSS.

"Had I known all the info about TSS, I would never have used tampons," the 27-year-old tells VICE. Although boxes currently carry FDA warnings against wearing tampons for more than 8 hours, she thinks more needs to be done. Knowledge is potentially life-saving power, so we applaud Lauren's efforts.

Want More? Like us on Facebook

MORE CELEB SCOOPS

Show Comments
Join Our Newsletter
Stay fetch. Sign up for The Cray, our daily roundup of all things buzzworthy. From Kylie Jenner's trendsetting style (btw, puberty goals AF) to life-changing tech news (tweeting an emoji to order a pizza #YES), The Cray is all you need to impress the squad.
Privacy Terms