Two Vegan Recipes That Everyone Will Fall in Love With
I have two amazing recipes that even non-vegan eaters will enjoy. The first one is one of my favorite things in the world, vegan nachos, and the second is a yummy strawberry lemonade cupcake. Mmm.
There are a handful of great recipes floating around on the web for vegan nachos, but I found a really delicious one from PETA's website that you have to try.
Hit up your closest grocery store for these items that you'll need for your tasty dish:
- 1 bag of tortilla chips
- 12 on. black beans
- 12 oz. corn
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup black olives, sliced
- 1 medium jalepeno, sliced
- 1 1/4 cups cashew cheese
- 1/2 cup of guacamole or freshly sliced avocado
- 1/2 lime
After you've got all your ingredients ready, it's time to get cookin'!:
- Preheat the oven to 325
- Spread the tortilla chips evenly on a large baking sheet
- Top the tortilla chips with the black beans, corn, onion, tomato, cilantro, olives and cashew cheese (or try a vegan nacho cheese brand like Follow Your Heart) and bake for 12 to 15 minutes
- Garnish with the guacamole or avocado and squeeze some lime juice over the top
Now sit back and enjoy the 6 servings you just whipped up! But leave some room because it's cupcake time.
These vegan strawberry lemonade cupcakes (also found on PETA) will blow your mind.
And for this recipe (which will whip up a dozen cupcakes) you will need:
- 3/4 cup nondairy milk (try soy, almond, or coconut milk)
- Juice and zest of 1 1/2 lemons
- 2/3 cup organic sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 tsp. lemon extract (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. baking poweder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped strawberries
- 1/3 cup finely chopped strawberries
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup cold vegan margarine (try Earth Balance)
- 1/2 tsp. lemon extract
- 2 1/2 cups sifted organic powdered sugar
Preheat your oven to 350:
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the nondairy milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, oil, and lemon extract and whisk vigorously until well mixed.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, sift together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix well, then pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and combine with a spoon. Add the strawberries and stir.
- Pour into a muffin pan lined with cupcake liners. Fill each liner two-thirds full.
- Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- To make the frosting, combine the strawberries and 3/4 of the lemon juice and zest in a saucepan. Cook on medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. Place in the refrigerator to cool. Whip the cold began margarine for 5 minutes using a hand or electric mixer. Add the remaining lemon juice and zest, the refrigerated strawberry mixture, and the lemon extract and whip again until combined. Add in the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until everything is combined.
- Frost the cupcakes and garnish with a halved strawberry, lemon wedge, and halved drinking straw.
- Last step, ENJOY!