The fine folks over at Parissa and SweetEase gave us the scoop about ingrown hairs. Basically what it boils down to is that no matter what you do to maintain your, uh, private mane, you're going to sporadically get what's called "razor bumps" from waxing, tweezing, or shaving. This means your hair has curled inward and is stuck underneath your skin (yikes!). While it's no big deal, these little stinkers can be annoying and also worsened by tightly-fitting clothing or friction. So what can you do about it?
- Don't, for the love of all things glitter and puppies, pop it! This will just make it worse. This can cause infection and scarring.
- Do clean the area twice a day with an antiseptic soap.
- Prevent further irritation by wearing loose-fitting clothing.
- Reduce swelling by using a cold compress (tea bags + one hour in the fridge = perfection), or soothe it with a little Azulene Oil.
- Red skin = angry skin, so be sure to gently exfoliate in the shower, too, until the little bugger goes away on its own.
- Prevent ingrown hairs by regularly exfoliating to remove dead skin and dirt that clogs your pores.
- And keep moisturizing, gals! Use a non-clogging moisturizer to keep your skin happy and healthy.