Luckily, we have SunKissAlba (A.K.A. Alba Ramos)'s tips to help us out. Her YouTube channel is so popular that she has over half a million subscribers who tune in for her natural beauty tips (hair, make-up, the whole shebang) and a new "#NaturalBeauty" show on Michelle Phan's ICON Network as well.
We chatted with Alba about how to get natural curly hair on fleek for fall and we were amazed by how even small changes in our hair care regimens can make all the difference. Take a peek at five of Alba's top natural hair tips that just might change your life.
1. How to Beat Frizz: According to Alba, the key to frizz-free hair is all in the way you cleanse, dry and style it. "Frizzy hair is not a hair type, it's just a curl waiting to happen," she told us. Love that. To beat frizz, Alba rinses her hair with cold water post-shampoo, since "warm/hot water overly dries hair and can remove lots of moisture" and "cold water seals in moisture, adds shine and prevents frizz." Then, she uses a microfiber towel instead of a cotton towel to dry her hair since cotton can add friction and dryness and cause frizz.
After that, she rakes her fave products through her hair to style it and doesn't touch it again until it's dry. "I simply allow my hair to air dry and I do not touch or separate my curls until my hair is 100% dry," she said. "This allows my hair to settle in place without the interruption of frizz we add with our hands during the air drying process. So, NO TOUCHING until after your hair dries."
2. Natural Hair Products You Need Right Now: Alba's top three favorite products are made with "naturally derived ingredients that are highly beneficial for hair health and a manageable styling routine," she told us.
- Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave-in: "It has good slip, makes my hair feel silky, it prevents tangles and makes my detangling process much easier."
- Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Style Milk: "It's not heavy for my hair and hydrates so well. I love styling my hair with this and restyling on next day hair also."
- Organic Coconut Oil: "I use coconut oil for everything! Internally and externally. It's so beneficial for hair so I love using it to scalp massage and deep condition my hair before cleansing."
3. Alba's Top Secret for Hot Curly Hair: The top question Alba is asked the most is 'How does your hair look so frizzless and so curly all the time?' Her answer is simple: she keeps heat off of it. "I haven't straightened my hair in over five years," she said. "When you get to a point where your hair cooperates with you because you treat it so well, it treats you well back. My curls look this good because this is how it's naturally supposed to be. Five years ago my hair did not curl this way and it was always a struggle that seemed like more work to make it look decent."
4. The One Conditioner You Need in Your Regimen: Alba swears by the "amazing" DevaCurl One Condition conditioner, but only uses it occasionally because of the price (about $20 for a 12 oz. bottle). "What I love it that this conditioner is so balanced with hydration, it can be used not just to condition + detangle but to also to co-wash (instead of using shampoo) and to leave in as a styler as well," she told us.
5. Be Patient: "To begin on a natural hair journey it's important to understand the process it takes because this will help you have a more realistic idea of what you will accomplish and by when, without expecting an instant change and giving up due to being impatient," she said. If you have damaged curls the transition can be even tougher, but take a deep breath and press on. For those unruly curls, Alba recommends trimming those pieces off as your hair grows out and not using any heat on your hair.
Excuse us while we go buy every product Alba has recommended. We needed this guidance, and Alba's beauty tips in general. She also gave us this exclusive clip from her show, where she gives the lowdown on how to get a pull off a hot pumpkin spice make-up look for fall. Anyone else dying to try this?