We know tons of people have been telling you coconut oil is basically a miracle salve. But did you know that a jar of virgin coconut oil only costs about $10 and can be used for close to 20 different things?
Maren Giuliano, Executive Global Whole Body Coordinator at Whole Foods Market, loves to keep a jar on hand for that reason.
"Our shoppers love single-ingredient products that they can personalize to their individual beauty needs," says Maren, who began honing her beauty expertise at a small herb shop in Albuquerque, New Mexico in 1993. "Whether it's a clean makeup remover, a natural hair mask or a simple facial moisturizer, coconut oil acts as a great multi-tasker and one jar goes a long way."
Here are some of our fave genius AF ways to use coconut oil:
1. Lip balm. Just swipe on some oil as much as you please!
2. Mouthwash. "Oil pulling" - the process of swishing oil in your mouth - can kill bad breath and make your teeth whiter by wiping out bacteria. CNN reports that two sessions of four minutes is plenty.
3.Whitening toothpaste. Mix it with some baking soda, and maybe add some peppermint essential oil to make it taste good.
4. Deodorant. We made our own effective coconut oil-based version.
5. Cuticle cream. Just apply it to your cuticles, the skin at the base of your nail, during a self-mani.
6. Makeup brush cleaner. Combine two parts antibacterial soap, one part coconut oil.
7. Makeup remover. Use a cotton pad or apply directly with your fingers.
8. Scar cream. Put some on top of a scar to keep it from darkening and blistering.
9. Itch cream. Use it on bug bites to save you from scratching.
10. Body scrub. Mix some salt or sugar (coarse is best) with coconut oil and slough off all that rough skin.
11. Defrizzer. Tame your flyaways by rubbing it through the ends of your hair.
12. Body lotion. Follow a DIY recipe to do it right, and blend in your fave essential oils to personalize the scent.
13. Shaving cream. Another fun thing to DIY.
14. Dandruff treatment. Rub it into your scalp before you go to bed at night.
15. Body oil. This moisturizing salve naturally has an SPF of 4.
16. Eye cream. Dab the moisturizer on the delicate skin under your eyes to prevent wrinkles.
17. Hot oil treatment. Warm it up and work it through your hair before you shampoo and condition.
18. Hydrating face cream. Just apply to your face and let the antioxidants seep into your skin all day or night. Or, use it to remove your makeup and then just leave it on to work its magic.
If you aren't a coconut oil convert yet, we bet you are now!