The Easy Braided Ribbon Updo That Will Slay Every Holiday Party
"Incorporating timeless holiday textures like ribbon in classic hairstyles is a fun and easy way to style hair for the holiday season," Eva says.
Her senior stylist Annie Rush created this updo for the upcoming whirlwind of holiday parties and dressy events. We watched Annie in action and TBH, we actually think we could pull this off ourselves! Here's the six-step process:
1. Smooth and prep the hair by gently brushing with a boar bristle brush. The boar bristles help tame frizz and flyaways by distributing the natural oils from the scalp to the ends of the hair, creating a polished look.
2. Pull all of your hair back in two steps. First, take the hair from the ears up and clip it on either side. Gather the remainder of your hair, brush it back into a low ponytail at the nape of your neck and secure in place with an elastic.
3. Release the clipped hair on top of your head and find a part that feels natural for you, whether that's down the middle or off to one side. Pull both sections back, crisscrossing them over the ponytail, and secure with bobby pins.
4. Tie the ribbon at the base of the ponytail and then begin braiding it into the hair. Secure it with an elastic or tie it off with the ribbon.
5. Spray the braid with a texture spray (like Shu Uemura Texture Wave Dry Finishing Spray, $39) and gently pull the braid apart to add a little more texture and body.
6. Finally, roll the braid up into a bun and secure it with bobby pins. Set with a little hairspray (like Shu Uemura Sheer Lacquer Finishing Spray, $39).
To take it to the next level, try playing with velvet or leather ribbons to up the ante on texture. Everyone in your squad will be begging you to do their hair from here on out, we promise.