Fu Yuanhui has quickly become one of our favorite athletes to watch in this summer's Olympic games. Between her signature goofy faces and all-around awesome attitude, we didn't think there was anything else the 20-year-old swimmer could do to make us admire her more.
Until this past Saturday.
After competing in the 4x100-meter relay, the Chinese swimmer and her team were interviewed by a CCTV reporter. As the reporter went to interview Yuanhui, the camera panned down to show the 20-year-old squatting on the ground.
According to Shanghaiist, when the interviewer saw Yuanhui in pain she asked the swimmer: "Your stomach must hurt a lot right now?"
"My period came last night and I'm really tired right now," Yuanhui responded. "But this isn't an excuse, I still did not swim as well as I should have."
Although these Olympic athletes are basically super human, they don't get to plan their menstrual cycles around their competition dates ― they power through it because, well, they're super humans.
Thanks for being honest, Fu.
Head here to watch the full interview.
For more Olympics coverage:
- 14 Times The Final Five Loved Each Other So Freaking Much
- 50 Photos That Show The Raw Power Of This Year's Olympic Women
- Haters, Leave Olympic Champion Gabby Douglas The F Alone
- The Body-Positive Message Behind This Shot Putter's Olympic Gold Medal
- Stop Attributing The Success Of Women Olympians To Men